16 August 2011

Adapting and Finding Help

When I first got sick, I kept trying to do things myself. This resulted in FAIL. I tired myself out, and most of the stuff didn't get done. I've learned since to evaluate activities carefully.

  • Does it need to be done at all? A lot of stuff that used to be essential in my life has gone away. Some of it is missed, some not.
  • Can it be done easier? This sometimes can mean getting equipment that helps in performing the activity, such as a tumble dryer vs a clothesline. Or simple things like putting a chair by the bathroom sink so I can sit while I brush my teeth. Removing clutter and arranging your home to make day to day life easier is also a possibility.
  • Can it be done online? I do the bulk of my shopping online, including groceries. In the UK, the major grocery stores all deliver, and there is a milkman with free delivery who can top up between visits. I use the internet to buy clothes, books, household products - pretty much everything. It is very rare that I need to physically go and purchase something. I also try to do as much of my communication online as possible as I find it much easier to type than to speak.
  • Can it be done by someone else? Since becoming sick, I've had to hire someone to do the household cleaning and someone to walk the dog. There are mobile hairdressers who will come to your house to cut your hair, mobile vets who will make house calls, care services who can assist in personal care that you can no longer do for yourself. I'd also put in this category using a cab if you can no longer drive safely and are unable to use public transportation.
    I've started a list of links on the side of the resources I have found, in my three years of illness, to be the most helpful to me. Those that are specific to the UK, I have flagged as such. I hope other people will gain as much from them as I have.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment