22 November 2012

Day 22: Thank you

Day 22 – Thursday, Nov. 22
Thanks Post. Write about what you’re thankful for!
OR
Write about change

I'm thankful for so much this year. I'm thankful that we're in a new flat that isn't damp and mildewy. I'm thankful that my beloved dog isn't suffering any more. I'm thankful for my new pain doctor, who has purple streaks in her hair and far more knowledge and empathy than any doctor I've seen in many years. I'm thankful for the NHS, with all its flaws, and the social benefits system in this country (even though it's being gutted).

Actual things I'm thankful for are all the little modern adaptations that make life better for someone who is disabled. Things like the electric bed warmer, my laptop, wireless broadband, a kindle full of ebooks, my indispensable bed-rail, my wheelchair - it makes my butt ache, but it's better than nothing!, the remote control fan, feather pillows, audiobooks... the list could go on and on.

But mostly I'm thankful for my friends and my family, and most especially, my husband. He cooks my meals, washes my hair, helps me in and out of bed, pushes my wheelchair, reads to me, loves me, and never ever utters a syllable of complaint that 'in sickness and in health' meant a lot more sickness than we thought about.

Oh, and he made a brilliant Thanksgiving dinner, including pumpkin pie. 

#NHBPM






No comments:

Post a Comment